Being vegan requires a lot of commitment. But no matter the reasons, giving up cake is a herculean effort. One you don’t have to undertake, thankfully. There are some easy ways to make a fantastic vegan cake, and here you can view some tips to bake your own.
Baking a Vegan Coffee Cake is different from baking a regular cake only in that you have to substitute some of the ordinary ingredients for others. It required some experimenting to get the texture and taste precisely right. The result was a moist, rich, and crumbly cake with the heady flavor of the coffee.
To make a coffee cake vegan, you will have to swap the milk for some non-dairy alternative, like almond milk or soy milk. If you want to add something to duplicate the texture of eggs in a cake, you can use pumpkin puree. Then there is organic cane sugar and vegan butter.
If you’re not so sure of butter in your diet, you can use canola oil or coconut oil for a nice crumbly texture.
2 cup all-purpose flour
Half cup almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Half cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Half cup canola oil
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
Half cup strongly brewed coffee
Quarter cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
A pinch of sugar
Making Vegan Coffee Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then line a pan with parchment paper for baking.
- In a large bowl, mix in all the flour, baking powder, baking soda, granulated and light brown sugar and the teaspoons of cinnamon together. Pour the canola oil and mix it in till a crumbly texture is obtained, but do not over mix.
- For the crumb coat, put aside a little more than a cup of this mixture and add half a teaspoon of cinnamon to it.
- In another bowl, combine all the wet ingredients- almond milk, apple cider vinegar, coffee, vanilla extract, and the yogurt, together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet, one cup at a time, and fold it in.
- Pour the cake batter into the pre-lined baking tin.
- Add the crumb coat on top of the batter and evenly spread it out with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or as long as it takes to bake evenly.
- Take the cake out of the oven and allow it to cool for a while before adding the icing.
For The Icing
- To make the icing for this coffee cake, whisk together powdered icing sugar, vanilla extract, and almond milk.
- Pour it on top of the cooled cake or make a criss-cross pattern with it.
After eating, store the remaining cake in an air-tight container or covered in plastic wrap at room temperature. This will ensure that it is soft when you take it out to eat next.
Serve it with a cup of hot chocolate or enjoy a slice as is.